Position: Daytime Custodian
Job Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Facility & Grounds Specialist
Revision Date: 4/28/2021
*Very competitive benefits package offered*
This position is responsible for thorough and outstanding cleanliness of the entire facility, with particular attention to high traffic areas both indoors and outdoors. The objective is to maintain a spotless appearance through regular, safe, thorough, systematic housekeeping duties. We are looking for service superstars who are reliable, ready to learn on the job, can work efficiently and with minimal supervision while upholding the SPCA’s dedication to team work and customer service.
Essential Duties and Functions:
• Maintain the highest standard of cleanliness throughout the facility while providing outstanding customer service.
• Continually walks through the facility throughout the shift to ensure tidy and clean spaces and areas.
• Follows specific cleaning list/duties as assigned by supervisor, to include but not limited to: cleaning the floors, glass and windows, common areas, lobby, bathrooms, offices, training rooms, kitchenettes, and stairwells; cleaning and polishing furniture and fixtures, and collecting/disposing of trash throughout the shift.
o Lobby: Disinfect all countertops/desks, door knobs, keyboards, computer monitors, phones and computer mice.
o Offices: Dust/wipe down all surfaces, clean floors
o Windows and window sills throughout the facility
o Floors: All floors with the exception of animal housing areas
o Bathrooms: Cleaning toilet, sink, mirror, table surfaces, and floor
o Door handles: Disinfect all door handles, railings, and push bars around the shelter
o Staff Lounge: Clean dishes, countertops, tabletop, microwaves, and floors
o Trash: Collect and dispose of all trash with the exception of in animal housing areas
o Conference room: Clean table, counters, windows, and floors
• Maintains supplies in conference rooms, kitchenettes, and bathrooms.
• Assists with moving donations from lobby to storage areas and maintains organized storage areas.
• Maintains extremely clean, organized storage of all housekeeping equipment and supplies.
• Picks up and distributes supplies as needed.
• Mixes water and detergents in containers to prepare cleaning solutions according to specifications.
• Sets up, arranges, and removes decorations, tables, chairs to prepare facilities for events and meetings.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
• Must be able to frequently lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to stand, walk, bend, squat, kneel, climb, crawl, grip, reach, stretch, and use repetitive arm and leg motions for duration of shift.
• Must be able to stand and move around for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work around animals, pet dander, zoonotic diseases, cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal feces, bites, scratches, and other allergens without issue.
• Must possess excellent vision and hearing.
• The ability to work outdoors in differing climates and weather conditions.
• Exposure to disinfectant solutions and chemicals.
Required Skills / Experience:
• High school diploma or GED required.
• 2 years related janitorial / housekeeping experience required.
• Valid Virginia Driver’s License in good standing.
• Must be comfortable safely driving all SPCA transport vans and Compassionate Care-A-Van, abiding by all traffic laws.
• Willing to help both within and outside of the parameters of this position.
• Must have an outgoing pleasant attitude with excellent communication and customer service skills.
• Highly dependable and prompt.
• Must enjoy working in a team environment.
• Requires working alone or with minimal supervision.
• Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous and professional manner.
• Must adhere to the SPCA’s policies and philosophies.
• Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the organization. May require evening, holiday and weekend work hours.
• Must be a highly motivated self-starter with strong attention to detail and the ability to work in fast paced environment.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2021