Provides leadership and direction for the day to day operations of the Pueblo shelter and related programs. Directly supervises the Operations Manager, Community Cat Coordinator, and Behavior Program Manager. Fosters a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission of the organization. Ensure effective and efficient operations of all programs and provides quality animal and people care. Routinely coordinates with other HSPPR Directors, managers and staff. Serves as the liaison for the Pueblo community; acts as the primary spokesperson for this facility and routinely interacts with city and county officials.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversees the coordination, implementation, and logistics of HSPPR Pueblo program.
• Participates as a member of the senior leadership team in setting direction and strategy for the organization.
• Promotes superior public relations by representing HSPPR in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to identify and understand problems and determine appropriate measures to solve them.
• Collaborates with the Community Relations Specialist to heighten and uphold public image.
• Takes control of situations that could be potentially damaging to the public image of HSPPR.
• Serves as a liaison and promotes HSPPR’s philosophy to government officials, law enforcement, veterinarians, vendors, the public, media and other animal care and control agencies.
• Coordinates and host ten contractually mandated Community Liaison Committee meetings per year.
• Presents shelter updates to City Council and County Commissioners on a quarterly basis, or as requested.
• Cooperates effectively with other animal welfare and rescue agencies in Pueblo county and the surrounding area.
• Works in partnership with the Assistant Director of Animal Law Enforcement to reinforce the relationship between animal law enforcement and shelter operations.
• Ensures all animals are provided with humane and excellent care.
• Monitors and ensures that high standards and sanitation in the shelter are always consistent with PACFA, local and state ordinances, and HSPPR protocols.
• Works with Veterinary Services on matters concerning animal health.
• Oversees and assists with decision making around animal outcomes, to include humane euthanasia.
• In conjunction with the Director of Veterinary Services and the Veterinary Services Manager; Pueblo, ensures accurate reporting, use and control of drugs and supplies as required by the DEA.
• Informs Vice President of Operations of developments including department progress, media exposure, public image, client concerns.
• Ensures accurate reporting for all statistics and generates monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports and disseminates to the appropriate stakeholders.
• Provides and prepares recommendations for the Vice President of procedural changes for the department and communicates with staff in timely manner.
• Acts as a liaison to the community through fund-raising/special events and professional affiliation.
• Handles client concerns and special requests.
• Acts as primary media contact / spokesperson for the HSPPR Pueblo location.
• Assists the Communication department with the development of the organization’s written materials for consistency of view, tone, and quality.
• Develops annual budget for all location operations related activities.
o Provides input into and administers budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
• Plans and organizes in anticipation of future needs.
• Hires, supervises, and evaluates direct reports in the performance of their job responsibilities.
• Coaches staff by providing ongoing feedback and timely performance evaluations.
• Sets performance standards; directs and motivates employees.
• Investigates grievances and performs disciplinary action when necessary.
• Consults with Vice President of Operations regarding discipline and terminations.
• Supervises and provides guidance to staff for situations that require immediate problem solving.
• Supervises, motivates, and trains direct reports, ensuring effective teamwork and high standards of work quality.
• Coordinates with managers and supervisors to assure proper staff coverage
• Supports staff and volunteers, recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization.
• Provides recommendations of policy/procedural changes for departments and works with managers/supervisors to ensures the implementation of those policy/procedural changes.
• Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of HSPPR.
• Supports the Socially Conscious Shelter and Socially Conscious Community model of animal welfare.
• Possess the ability to remain flexible with differing viewpoints, focus efforts on common goals
• Appreciate multicultural and socioeconomic differences and foster an environment of mutual respect
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
Operations Manager and Community Cat Coordinator
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Extensive experience in management and shelter operations, and has organizational, budgetary, and public and employee relations skills.
• Proven ability to effectively lead and motivate groups and individuals.
• In-depth knowledge of animal welfare industry best practices.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficient in major programs of Microsoft Office 365 such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2021