This key role is responsible for enhancing the human/animal bond by educating the community on responsible and humane pet ownership. The incumbent will enforce Orleans Parish municipal ordinances, humanely capture stray companion animals and investigate allegations of animal cruelty and/or neglect. The Humane Law Enforcement Officer will enhance and maintain positive relationships with animal welfare, law enforcement, and other related personnel and agencies within the Parish and State. Additionally, the individual is responsible for promoting and supporting the LA/SPCA's programs and mission.
Success Criteria & Essential Functions:
• Flexible in nature, this incumbent must be able to adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Incumbent must remain calm in high stress situations and cope effectively with complexity and change
• Demonstrating outstanding written and oral communication skills, this role will regularly represent the organization relating to humane law issues
• Action and detail-oriented, the incumbent must take initiative when responding to animal related calls and ensure that one’s work and information are complete and accurate
• Adept at diffusing conflict, incumbent may respond to situations involving animals in crisis due to human abuse and neglect or disaster. Incumbent must be able to navigate variety of public responses and inquiries while ensuring safety of all parties.
• Efficiency and organization are crucial in order to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort
• Team oriented, this individual will coordinate activities with other LA/SPCA staff and volunteers on a regular basis
• Demonstrating a high level of professionalism, this individual will represent LA/SPCA at meetings, conferences, through courtroom testimony and interaction with the public.
• Support all other activities as identified by the HLE Field Supervisor and/or the Director of Operations
Associates Degree preferred; High School diploma or G.E.D required
At least 2 years’ work experience involving care of animals and dealing with the public; or equivalent combination of education and experience
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021