Kennel Training Technician
Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc.
San Rafael, CA
Let your collaborative spirit guide you here.
If you love caring for dogs and want to play a part in keeping them healthy and thriving as they grow and become a special match for a person who is visually impaired or blind, consider joining Guide Dogs for the Blind (GDB). As part of the Kennel Training Technician team at our San Rafael, CA campus, you will expand your skills as you provide care and enrichment for guide dogs during the 3 months that they are in training.
This is the largest area of our operations. You will take on varied duties that may include feeding, bathing, medicating, exercising, grooming, and keeping dogs healthy, as well as maintaining a clean kennel environment. We may also ask you to maintain records, interact with the public and volunteers, and conduct campus tours.
What sets us apart?
• You’ll start with a training and mentorship program to help you understand our protocols and policies. GDB has a commitment to quality care and constant improvement, and backs it up with resources.
• You’ll appreciate the dedication and support of team members who always go the extra mile and have each other’s backs.
• With GDB, you will do more than at the average kennel. You may assist with canine medical and emergency care, bio-security, x-rays, and even helping dogs prepare for a career change. Your knowledge will expand as you handle unique cases and learn new techniques.
• Flexibility to work evening shifts, weekends, and holidays. More than anything, you need to be collaborative and committed to quality and safety.
• We pay more than the average kennel, because our roles are more complex. In addition, you’ll appreciate our generous benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance, 403(b), tuition reimbursement, and great wellness perks like yoga, circuit training, and an onsite gym.
• You can bring your dog to work!
The qualifications you’ll need:
• Physical stamina to be on your feet all day bending, lifting, scooping, and hosing
• Experience caring for dogs in a kennel, vet, or training environment preferred
• Ability to work weekends, 1 evening per week, and some holidays
Guide Dogs for the Blind
The largest guide dog school in North America, Guide Dogs for the Blind creates inspiring partnerships between people, dogs, and communities. With exceptional client services and a robust network of instructors, puppy raisers, donors, and volunteers, we prepare guide dogs to serve and empower individuals who are blind or have low vision, throughout the U.S. and Canada. Our team includes approximately 300 employees and 3,000 volunteers, supporting 2,300 working teams (clients and guide dogs).
At Guide Dogs for the Blind, we respect, value, and appreciate all differences. We welcome all qualified candidates irrespective of your race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Individuals with disabilities, especially those who are blind or visually impaired, are encouraged to apply. If you have a disability and need assistance and/or accommodation with applying for a job, please feel free to contact our Human Resources department.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Sunday, January 31, 2022