SALARY: $19.46 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 09/09/21
CLOSING DATE: 09/23/21 11:59 PM
Grant Funded: No
Work Hours: Hours will vary, to include weekends, holidays, early mornings and late nights. Position will be 40 hours, to include five 8 hour shifts with two consecutive days off. Shift times include, but are not limited to: Monday - Friday from 10:15 a.m. - 7:15 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday from 8:15 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
Under general supervision, is responsible for assisting the supervisor with day-to-day operations and oversight of an assigned team by ensuring the completion of staff's daily tasks are performed and in compliance with Animal Care policies and protocols. This position will perform routine administrative duties. Working conditions are inside and outside with frequent exposure to temperature variations, hazardous chemicals, noise, dirty environment, confining work space, unfavorable odors and hostile animals. Exercises functional supervision over assigned staff.
Work Hours: Hours will vary, to include weekends, holidays, early mornings and late nights. Position will be 40+ hours, to include five 8 hour shifts with two consecutive days off. Shift times include, but are not limited to: Monday - Friday from 10:15 a.m. - 7:15 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday from 8:15 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Communicates pertinent information to ensure efficient daily operations to department staff members and other division leads.
• Assists with training, teaching classes, and completing evaluations of new employees.
• Ensures the staff's daily assigned tasks are performed and policies and protocols are enforced or assists as needed. Aids supervisor with creating and/or implementing new/efficient procedures.
• Oversees off-site functions including communicating with partners, transporting pets, maintaining City of San Antonio vehicles and equipment and facilitating proper cash handling when applicable. Works with team supervisor to develop and improve events, programs, and
• Communicates with customers in person and receives and responds to customer inquiries via email, fax, phone, or social media platforms.
• Addresses customer concerns and grievances and authorizes allowable requests for services and special accommodations.
• Provides safe and humane handling of animals for the purposes of intake, inventory, behavioral assessment, environmental enrichment and promotion events.
• Assists in monitoring the medical/behavioral status of animals and performs health care activities related to assigned animal shelter live release program.
• Cleans and sanitizes kennel area, equipment, and outside areas of grounds.
• Maintains and monitors inventory of adoptable and transferable animals, equipment, and supplies.
• May be required to perform cashiering duties related to Animal Care Services.
• Performs routine administrative duties.
• Frequently performs direct communication, off-site travel to functions and the ability to clean/sanitize equipment and ground areas.
• Lifting animals weighing in excess of 50 pounds will be accomplished through team lift.
• Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency).
• Three (3) years of professional animal handling experience.
• Two (2) years of customer service experience.
• This position requires a valid Class “C” Driver’s License OR valid driver’s license from another state with the ability to obtain a valid Texas Driver’s License within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident. Use of your own vehicle may at times be required and proof of Liability Insurance will be required.
• Ability to speak Spanish.
• If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
• Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
• Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
• Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of basic animal care procedures.
• Knowledge of basic veterinarian technician skills; or ability to learn administering of vaccines and micro chipping.
• Knowledge of good customer relations practices.
• Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
• Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
• Skill and observation in evaluation and classification of animals.
• Ability to quickly recognize and interpret animal signaling.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relations with the public and other employees.
• Ability to read and comprehend laws and regulations pertaining to animal control.
• Ability to recognize symptoms of common animal diseases; ability to lift and handle cats, dogs (including large breeds).
• Ability to prepare and organize statistical records.
• Ability to learn procedures related to sanitizing kennels, and general safe and humane animal handling.
• Ability to clearly explain animal services policies to the public and exercise tact and good judgment in dealings with the public.
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
• Ability to coach, train and provide technical assistance to others.
• Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position with or without accommodations.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Thursday, September 30, 2021