SUMMARY: The Site Supervisor provides oversight and direction for the care of our animals, including daily care and maintenance, behavior assessments, and maintaining the health and well-being of the population.. The Site Supervisor will also perform duties as “acting manager” in the absence of the site director. This job description intends to provide a representation of the type of duties and responsibilities required of this position.
● Directly oversees all duties of the kennel and its staff and provides initial and continual training..
● Monitors the behavioral and medical health of our shelter animals and immediately reporting issues to the Site Director.
● Assist with hiring decisions/recommendations.
● Recommends and assists in the presentation of disciplinary action with the Site Director.
● May be required to drive company vehicle to transport animals, or supplies to various locations.
● Ensures facilities, equipment, and grounds are maintained in operable condition and that the shelter environment is healthy, safe, and pleasant for our staff, animals and the public.
● Treats all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance.
● Communicates effectively and professionally with co-workers, management, volunteers and the public..
● Ensures that all animals are behaviorally assessed according to organizational protocol..
● Is an active, knowledgeable, and respectful participant in weekly Lifesaving meetings, contributing to the group to find the most appropriate outcomes for the shelter’s animals, even if that outcome decision is euthanasia.
● Enters clear and concise data and notes utilizing database software.
High school diploma or equivalent plus three years of animal handling. One year of supervisory experience preferred. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and be comfortable driving a variety of vehicles.
EXPERIENCE, ABILITIES AND QUALITIES REQUIRED
● Strong interpersonal skills: outgoing, patient, professional, and able to get along well with a variety of people.
● Strong written and verbal skills, including the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers, and community in a professional manner at all times.
● Strong problem solving skills – focusing on quickly finding solutions to problems and challenges.
● Knowledge of animal behavior and common medical conditions (or a willingness to rapidly gain this knowledge.)
● Comfort and ability in working with animals of unknown disposition including those who may exhibit medical including zoonotic illnesses, behavioral and/or other problems, as well as aggressive tendencies.
● Ability to lift and move objects and animals weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances and to humanely restrain an animal when necessary.
● Must have a sincere interest in the work, programs and mission of the Pennsylvania SPCA.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Site Director
HOURS FLSA STATUS: Non-EXEMPT POSITION Minimum of 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week. Daily morning and afternoon hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule. Position may include weekends, nights and holidays.
INTRODUCTORY ASSESSMENT PERIOD The introductory assessment period runs from the date of hire for three months thereafter. For employment in any position with the Pennsylvania SPCA, this introductory assessment period is the period during which the specifics of the job are learned. During this period, either the employee or the Pennsylvania SPCA may end the employment relationship without notice or prejudice.
EMPLOYMENT There is no minimum period of employment guaranteed or implied by acceptance of an employment offer. It is the policy of Pennsylvania SPCA that even exempt positions are governed by the needs of the agency, which means that employment is for no specified term and either the Pennsylvania SPCA or the employee, may terminate that employment at any time. The Chief Executive Officer has final authority over these decisions and determinations.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Sunday, February 28, 2021