Humane Society Silicon Valley
Job DescriptionLove animals? Want to spend your day surrounded by wagging tails and soft purrs?
Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV), an independent, privately funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, has been serving people and pets in Silicon Valley for over 90 years. Having facilitated more than half a million animal adoptions, HSSV is leading the charge for animal welfare through community programs, creative marketing techniques, and effective homeless animal prevention strategies.
We are a passionate, high-performing team who believes that collaboration is key to our success. We do our best work by leveraging each other’s strengths and making sure to create opportunities for the work to be fun and meet our individual goals.
We take our mission seriously: To save and enhance lives – both two-legged and four legged! We envision a better world for animals and the people who love them, and we’re dedicated to making that vision a reality.
To help us achieve our goal of saving more lives, we’re looking for supervisors who are results driven, effective communicators and highly customer focused. You’ll be part of the team that leads the everyday work of our Adoption Associates and drives successful programs to create memorable experiences for adopters.
You are upbeat and enthusiastic, enjoy a challenge and are as comfortable with overseeing day-to-day operations as you are supervising people. You have experience with cats, dogs, rabbits and/or pocket pets, and are passionate about finding them homes.
Our supervisor team is comprised of three areas of focus: Adoption Experience, Fast Track Animals (easier to place animals) and Slow Track Animals (diamonds in the ruff, pocket pets, harder to place animals). Each focus is involved with staff, volunteers and the public and works together to deliver on fun and exciting adoption promotions throughout the year. This specific opportunity is focused on Fast Track Animals which involves lots of event planning for offsite adoptions events at different locations where there are opportunities to reach more adoptable families.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Foster a team environment by working effectively with staff and volunteers to accomplish HSSV mission, values and goals and ensure everyone has an exceptional adoptions experience.
• Perform work with a collaborative, can-do attitude; actively demonstrate empathy, compassion, consideration and courtesy while presenting a positive image in all interactions with others.
• Model what superior customer service looks like and demonstrate an attitude that encourages enthusiasm and support for staff, volunteers and public.
• Motivate and inspire the team to help in new and exciting ways and keep everyone “in the know” about the needs and history of adoptable pets to match them with potential adopters.
• Collaborate with other internal teams such as behavior and rescue to have a holistic view on the animals’ flow through HSSV.
• Develop processes and procedures and create training programs that enable the team to find the “right” match between animals and adopters.
• Act as an escalated point of contact using good judgement and mentorship when it comes to handling
• Observe and respond to trends and identify how they impact our processes and related solutions.
• Train, coach and supervise staff and volunteers, including scheduling, conflict resolution and participating with goal setting.
• Represent adoptions at daily team meetings and weekly adoption council meetings.
• Work with the team to manage the HSSV store for access by staff and adopting families.
• Leverage metrics to analyze adoption program results and drive program efficiencies.
• Participate in community events such as pop-up events to increase HSSV’s outreach.
• Solicit donations from customers and maintain incoming monies and accuracy of the cash register including closing procedures.
• Step in to fill duties on the adoption floor and be familiar with all adoption related processes.
• Support adoption center opening and closing procedures.
• Other job duties may be assigned as needed
• Experience as a lead in a customer service environment; veterinary or animal related environments preferred.
• Retail background also beneficial; must have solid cash handling skills.
• Appreciation of the diversity in HSSV adopters and commitment to make adoptions succeed.
• Ability to work/interact with a variety of animals in a safe and humane manner.5/5/23
• Skilled in working with databases, scheduling appointment systems, word processing, spreadsheets, MS Office, etc.
• Positive, empathetic attitude with a passion for working with animals and people and must have good judgment skills.
• Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment while being flexible to changing needs.
• Demonstrated ability to listen, understand and make effective decisions.
• Have a proactive approach to problem solving and anticipant problems before they arise.
• Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate an attitude of consideration and courtesy to others.
• Must be detail-oriented with an ability to follow directions as well as work independently with minimal
supervision; proven ability to successfully lead and delegate tasks to others.
• Ability to lift and carry weights of up to 50 lbs. from floor to waist level. Ability to kneel on the floor, bend at the waist, reach forward and rotate the upper body. Sit/stand for sustained periods of time. Walk on wet or dry surfaces. Work both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions during both daylight and after dark.
Work Days and Hours
Hours may vary depending on staffing needs, schedule includes both Saturday and Sundays and may include late afternoons/evenings and holidays.
Add "apps.bamboohr.com" to your email contact list so you make sure to receive emails from HSSV regarding your application.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Friday, August 18, 2023