Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls or walk-ins, please.
The CASPCA surgical team completes approximately 30-35 surgeries per day. The majority of surgeries are routine spay/neuter of dogs and cats, however, additional procedures such as amputations, enucleations, and dentals are also performed. Surgery assistants are an essential part of this process and must have the ability to maintain a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and be an effective team player in a fast-paced work environment.
Essential Duties and Functions:
• Prepare surgical paperwork (patient charts and discharge instructions).
• Perform instrument cleaning, pack preparation and sterilization.
• Restrain patients for vet examinations and during induction for the LVTs.
• Prepare patients for surgery (shave and scrub).
• Perform check-in for surgery patients and aid in identifying any special needs, particularly in feral cats (URI symptoms, wounds, hair loss)
• Prepare for and assist the veterinarian with dental procedures.
• Ensure the recovery areas are clean, appropriately stocked, and organized. Frequently sanitize the recovery cage banks.
• Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the Wet Room, Prep Room, and Operating Room.
• Perform patient discharge and answer client questions about surgical recovery and medications.
• Monitor patients pre-, intra-, and post-operatively.
• Administer vaccinations and other treatments designated by the veterinarian post-operatively.
• Assist the veterinarian as needed during walk-in appointments (rabies vaccines/microchipping) and other outpatient appointments.
• Keep medical records up to date with accurate, succinct, and detailed descriptions of patients; schedule all relevant follow-up appointments and rechecks.
• Other tasks as assigned by the Clinic Manager.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Previous experience with animals in a professional setting preferred, though not required.
• Ability to handle animals effectively and humanely.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• Ability to lift and transport materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
• The ability to bend and squat.
• The ability to stand for significant periods of time.
• Exposure to disinfectant solutions.
• Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals.
• Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Thursday, January 20, 2022