Please apply ONLY through the City of Dallas job portal: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dallas/jobs/2285583/veterinary-m…
Veterinary Medical Manager I
Dallas Animal Services’ Veterinary Medical Division is focused on continuous improvement and strives to improve the quality of life and continuously increasing successful release for the animals in our shelter care through medical intervention. A preferred candidate for this Fast-paced, data-driven position will be detailed oriented, have experience in Shelter Medicine or herd management and experience initiating and supervising medical processes and procedures.
Performs routine and multifaceted management or oversight activities for daily operations of an operating unit or functional program
1. Manages activities of staff in an operating unit or functional program area(s), establishing deadlines, priorities, and work sequences. Plan work assignments based on general work schedules, methods, and polices set by higher-level management.
2. Develops guidelines, procedures and rules and monitors compliance with policies and procedures.
3. Develops and implements techniques for evaluating program activities.
4. Identifies needed improvements and makes recommendations to optimize operations. Implements corrective actions within their authority to resolve work problems.
5. Establishes short-term goals and objectives; develops and/or approves schedules, priorities, and standards for achieving goals; and directs evaluation activities.
6. Oversees the preparation of management and productivity reports and studies.
7. May oversee the preparation of and evaluate budget requests.
8. May oversee a complaint processing system for the administration and enforcement of agency regulations, policies and procedures.
9. May determine training needs of subordinates and arrange for its accomplishment, set performance standards, make formal appraisals of subordinate work performance and initiate recommendations for promotion or reassignment of subordinates.
10. Performs related work as assigned.
11. Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job
• High school diploma or GED.
o Five (5) years of experience in animal shelter/control operations and/or the enforcement of State/Local laws pertaining to animals which must include at least two (2) of the following animal shelter/control areas:
o Animal inventory/ population management.
o Animal health and wellness.
o Animal placement programs.
o Customer service/complaint resolution.
o Developing/implementing programs, policies and/or procedures
o Developing and evaluating budget requests.
o Program evaluation.
o Staff Training
• Two (2) years of supervisory/management responsibilities. (This experience may be included in the required experience listed above.)
• Valid professional animal shelter/control related training and/or certification(s) from a State or National organization is a plus three (3) years of the required experience including two (2) years of supervisory/ management responsibilities will meet the experience requirements.
LICENSE(S) and/or CERTIFICATION(S):
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
• Must obtain a euthanasia certification issued by the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) within probationary period.
• No animal cruelty convictions.
• No Felony drug charges.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• MS Office or similar software skills.
• Management information systems software skills.
• Ability to facilitate public meetings.
• Ability to promote public/private partnerships.
• Ability to correspond with a 15-member Animal Shelter Advisory Board.
• Ability to work varying shifts including weekends and holidays.
• Valid professional animal shelter/control related training and certification(s) from a State or National organization is a plus.
• Community relations, community policing and/or public/private partnership experience is a plus.
• Animal emergency response or animal first response experience is a plus.
Dallas Animal Services - Veterinary Medical Division: Focused on continuous improvement and strives to improve the quality of life and continuously increasing successful release for the animals in our shelter care through medical intervention. A preferred candidate for this Fast-paced, data-driven position will be detailed oriented, have experience in Shelter Medicine or herd management and experience initiating and supervising medical processes and procedures.
The salary listed on this job posting is the starting salary range: amount offered will depend upon qualifications.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Saturday, February 27, 2021