The Kauai Humane Society (KHS) seeks a highly organized, outgoing, people-oriented candidate to recruit, train and supervise volunteers. This role will assist with community outreach and humane education regarding animal welfare topics and building volunteer opportunities at KHS. The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator requires high-level program coordinating abilities, as well as skills in handling shelter animals of varying temperaments and sizes in order to guide and match volunteers into long-lasting roles while growing a sustainable volunteer base and overall program. The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator role is a full-time position which comes with competitive benefits and a guaranteed annual salary.
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Qualifications:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent is required; college degree is preferred.
- Animal handling and/or animal welfare industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Competency with computers, Microsoft Office or Google Suite of products, and online database programs, (examples being volunteer program software, scheduling programs, and animal shelter software), is required.
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work with both dogs and cats of varying sizes, breeds, and temperaments.
-The majority of dogs you will handle at KHS are 50+ lbs with strong pulling on the leash behavior and
require confident handling.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless valid, legal medical exemption documentation is provided.
- Must be able to deal with an emotionally charged public and carry a fast-paced and changing workload which at times can be stressful.
- Must agree to work in an environment and understands that, by nature of the industry, there may be occasional exposure to injured, sick, deceased, and/or difficult animals with varying health concerns.
-KHS sees a high rate of the fungal infection ringworm in our cat populations, which you will be required
to work with. (protective equipment, especially gloves, are available and required)
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently daily to perform duties.
- Must be able to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Essential Job Functions:
- Provide direction and coordination to current and prospective volunteers to create positive, meaningful volunteer experiences that benefit KHS operations and/or animals needs.
- Foster a spirit of collaboration and teamwork among staff and volunteers by identifying and/or designing engagement opportunities across the organization’s functions.
- Provide excellent customer service and support to ensure volunteers feel welcome, recognized and valued.
- Serve as first-line support should a volunteer issue arise, and work to increase understanding in order to resolve any issue in a positive and productive manner.
- Continually educate volunteers on KHS’s position and policies on animal welfare-related topics.
- Manage all volunteer department email and phone communications to maintain clear and consistent communications with volunteers, staff, and community stakeholders.
- Ensure workplace safety for volunteers by identifying risks, understanding their impact, and updating and promoting policies and procedures that will minimize or eliminate those risks, and maintaining appropriate waivers.
- Compose and design volunteer newsletters weekly.
- Actively recruit and onboard volunteers, including but not limited to:
-Maintaining a volunteer database of all records
-Leading weekly or bimonthly volunteer orientations
-Ensuring proper distribution of the volunteer handbook and collection of signed waivers
-Scheduling and guiding appropriate training and placement of all volunteers
-Increase staff capacity by identifying activities that can be delegated to volunteers by developing and assigning volunteers to such activities.
-Oversee volunteer activities for events both offsite and at shelter locations, potentially including:
-Kauai Humane Society
-BloomingTails Thrift Store
-Adoptable cats located at Petco
-Various community events such as markets, fairs, etc.
-Report and monitor relevant metrics including but not limited to:
-Weekly and monthly volunteer hours logged.
-Number of volunteers in each department/area
-Number of animals enriched/groomed/treated etc.
-Assist in Humane Education activities such as:
-Representing KHS at job fairs, volunteer fairs, and other education events
-Planning activities for and ensuring that annual “Critter Camps” are properly staffed and coordinated in
-Perform other duties or projects as assigned.
Anticipated Salary $35,000 -- $40,000 commensurate with experience.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Thursday, December 15, 2022