Thank you for your interest in the SPCA of Texas Chief Medical Officer position! This is an exciting role that leads a strong and dynamic group of shelter, clinic, and animal cruelty investigations veterinarians who are committed to providing exceptional and innovative medical care. The SPCA of Texas provides wonderful benefits, including robust medical, dental, and vision insurance packages, life insurance, thrift plan 403(b), paid time off, licensing, liability insurance, membership, and continuing education expenses, and more!
Summary of Essential Job Tasks:
- Coordinate and oversee the scheduling of all employed, contract, and relief veterinarians across all facilities.
- Ensure that all SPCA of Texas and veterinarian liability is minimized at all times.
- Ensure that all SPCA of Texas medical protocols, policies, and procedures follow the current Texas state statutes and federal legal regulations.
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets.
- Participate in the development of clinic and shelter medical strategies, as they relate to the organization’s goals.
- Oversee community medical events, working with the SPCA of Texas medical and outreach teams to maximize community impact while also adhering to veterinary standards of care.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with key stakeholders at veterinary hospitals, veterinary universities, and other animal welfare organizations within our target communities.
- Perform regular reviews of controlled substance inventory and record keeping in accordance with standards established by the D.E.A.
- Regularly evaluate all veterinary staff protocols, policies, and procedures to determine any need for improvements and updates.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations of the staff veterinarians.
- Research and develop new ideas, equipment, and staffing for improving shelter animal care, clinical services, and overall medical operations.
- Respond to customer service inquiries from the general public concerning SPCA of Texas medical operations.
- Establish a 24-hour, 7 day/week on-call system for clinic and shelter medical emergencies.
- Expand the SPCA of Texas’ partnerships with full-service, emergency, and specialty veterinary hospitals in order to provide exceptional care for shelter and clinic animals at cost-effective rates.
- Regularly audit outside medical expenses and work with staff veterinarians and local veterinary partners to minimize these costs.
- Develop educational in-service trainings for staff, volunteers, and other agencies, as needed.
- When needed, perform all essential functions of staff veterinarians.
- When needed, testify in animal cruelty cases if the primary case veterinarian is unavailable.
- Actively engage with volunteers in such a way that provides support for our volunteers and staff and proactively improves our volunteer program.
- Be an ambassador for the SPCA of Texas, sharing the work and mission with your friends and family and be knowledgeable of the various ways to support our work.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Medical Doctor Degree.
- License to practice in Texas.
- 3-5 years supervising veterinarians in a multi-veterinarian practice preferred.
Please apply via the link to the SPCA of Texas Career Center website. Please direct any questions to Meredith Jones, Vice President of Operations, at email@example.com.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Sunday, February 28, 2021