The Shelter Veterinarian provides high-quality medical care to shelter animals, including spay/neuter, treatment of various medical conditions, and herd health maintenance. (S)he assists in developing, advancing, and implementing shelter medicine protocols and delivers and ensures humane medical treatment of all animals seen in the shelter.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• With internal veterinarian colleagues, leads the evaluation and establishment of shelter medical protocols.
• Continually improves the medical management program and ensures high-quality medical care and services for shelter guests including those temporarily in foster care, focusing on identification, treatment and prevention of health problems thereby increasing adoptions and decreasing adoption returns.
• Provides timely medical care to all shelter animals pursuant to policy and PACFA regulations.
• Makes recommendations and collaborates with the Executive Director, Director of Operations and veterinarian colleagues in the formulation of shelter medical objectives, practices, plans and decisions that influence operations to ensure optimal health of sheltered animals.
• Oversees the maintenance of shelter drug and supply inventory while meeting and maintaining DEA requirements.
• Actively participates as a member of the management team; attends applicable meetings.
• Fulfills commitments to sponsors and donors, as needed, in a manner that will support HSWC needs; supports events, fundraising, and media spots as needed.
• Performs duties in a manner which encourages attainment of goals, contributions, and business for HSWC and its programs.
• Provides guidance to staff for situations requiring immediate medical problem solving.
• Participates in interviewing and hiring decisions for shelter veterinary staff.
• Oversees that appropriate shelter medical personnel are certified in euthanasia.
• Communicates directly with the Executive Director, Director of Operations, Shelter Manager and medical team with regard to care of all shelter animals.
• Identifies and helps to resolve ethics issues.
• Treats people and animals with respect; contributes to effective teamwork; promotes intra- and inter-departmental cooperation; and fosters public relations beneficial to HSWC.
• Evaluates and determines the disposition of incoming animals.
• Provides medical services to all shelter and wellness clinic animals, including physical examinations, diagnostics, medical rounds, and treatments.
• Performs sterilization surgeries and other surgical procedures for shelter and wellness clinic animals.
• Ensures appropriate medication is administered by shelter veterinary staff as directed.
• Advises, performs or oversees euthanasia performed within the shelter.
• Provides on-call services for shelter animal emergencies.
• Maintains appropriate licensing and completes required continuing education courses. Adheres to state regulations and organizational protocol regarding animal care, treatment, advocacy, and the mission of HSWC.
• Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
This is a full time job
Job Contact Details
Closing Date: Monday, May 31, 2021