Pet owners don’t always know how to meet all of their cats’ emotional and physical needs. By understanding cat behavior, effectively communicating that information to struggling owners and building your behavioral training capacity, you can avoid unnecessary surrenders. Discover proven techniques for keeping cats in their homes and for translating this knowledge into community-wide programs that will help keep more cats safe and happy. Use the resources below to keep as many cats as possible happily in their homes.
- Guide to Cat Behavior Counseling—available for purchase and as a free PDF
- Cat Behavior and Retention course—a self-paced, online course for budding behavior counselors
- Keeping Cats in Homes webinar series—six archived webinars walk you through strategies to address cat behavior problems on both individual and community-wide levels
- The Cat Answer Tool—this interactive, online resource helps cat owners resolve many cat behavior issues by explaining why their cat might be acting out and offering tools to manage the behavior
- Brochures for the public. The Humane Society of the United States has three public-facing brochures to help you engage your community.These are a great resources for animal shelters and rescues, animal control officers, veterinary clinics and wildlife centers as well as any individual working on behalf of cats and wildlife.
- Can you help this cat? Often people aren’t sure what to do when they see a stray cat outdoors. From searching for a lost cat’s family to TNRing a community cat, this brochure guides people through what to do when they come across a cat they don’t know. Download the PDF or order packs from our store.
- Catio’s: They’re the cat’s meow! introduces people to catios, enclosed outdoor cat patios that provide enrichment for your cat while keeping him and his bird friends safe. Download the PDF or order packs from our store.
- Cats, Wildlife and You provides tips on how to manage conflicts with free-roaming cats and both the wild and human neighbors. Download the PDF or order packs of 100 from our store.
Find these resources and more at animalsheltering.org/catbehavior