Why should you attend?
Animal Care Expo is the largest and most progressive international professional development conference and trade show in the animal welfare field. Expo is proud to provide participants with workshops for shelter and animal care professionals, emergency managers and responders, volunteers, veterinarians and vet technicians, and rescue groups.
At Animal Care Expo 2024, you will have the opportunity to choose from nearly 100 educational workshops and visit with close to 150 Exhibitors in our exhibit hall. In addition, Expo provides outstanding networking and continuing education opportunities with attendees from animal welfare agencies and shelters across the globe.
How to obtain your employer’s support to attend Animal Care Expo 2024
One of the best ways to get management support is to submit a proposal to your supervisor, outlining the organizational benefits of attending the conference. First, determine if your organization has a formal training and/or professional development policy, form and/or designated amounts for their employees. Second, review the workshop list for the conference to identify the professional development sessions and networking events that address the specific needs within your organization. Third, begin preparing your proposal using the details and information below.
Your proposal should include:
- A schedule of workshops you'd like to attend and why the knowledge gained will be valuable to your organization. Make your proposal more powerful by listing the department’s goals and objectives and how they relate to the corresponding workshops.
- A list of areas where your organization faces challenges, and how the proposed workshops you would like to attend will help you to develop solutions to meet your organization's needs.
- Include the cost of registration, travel and accommodations.
- Download a sample letter of a request to attend the conference to help you develop your own proposal.
Top benefits of attendance
- High-quality educational workshops from a wide variety of topic tracks.
- The opportunity to learn from experts, representatives from government agencies, leaders in the field and fellow practitioners about what’s new, and the challenges, accomplishments and solutions that are impacting today’s animal care field.
- Dedicated trade show featuring the latest products and services from a variety of exhibitors.
- Outstanding networking opportunities and social events with more than 2,500 colleagues from across the world who work in all facets of the industry, in all types of roles—whether you’re new to the field or have decades under your belt, there’s something at Expo for you.
Ideas on how to overcome common concerns to your request
Objection: This conference is too expensive.
- Animal Care Expo is reasonable given the value of the education and networking opportunities provided. It is the lowest priced international conference and trade show in the field.
- Animal Care Expo provides an excellent opportunity to earn a variety of different continuing education credits (CEs). In the past, we’ve offered CEs for:
- Certified Animal Welfare Administrators (CAWA)
- American Association of Veterinary State Boards Registry of Approved Continuing Education (AAVSB RACE)
- International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC)
- Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT)
- National Animal Care and Control Association (NACA)
- Volunteering for at least 4 hours qualifies you for the lowest discounted registration of just $135. Discounts and special offers are also available to subscribers of HumanePro News.
- Animal Care Expo has negotiated very competitive hotel room rates for conference participants.
- The conference features excellent leaders in the animal welfare field in one place.
Objection: What will the organization gain from your attendance?
Responses: Show in your proposal, through examples, how the conference provides:
- New ideas on how to save time and money, and positively influence your organization's operations.
- Access to education programming that can be brought back to the organization.
- Opportunities for relationship-building with experts, colleagues, referral sources and product and service providers. Opportunities to develop practical knowledge and skills.
- Opportunities for professional development by earning continuing education credits in a variety of disciplines.
Objection: The organization cannot afford to have you away from the office.
- Have a plan ready that shows how the conference will provide a cross-training opportunity, who will cover for you and how you can manage your workload while you are away.
- Remind your supervisor that supporting your participation in the conference shows the organization’s commitment to your professional development.